Published Works (Peer Reviewed):
Analyzing Spatial Models of Choice and Judgment with R
With recent advances in computing power and the widespread availability of political choice data, such as legislative roll call and public opinion survey data, the empirical estimation of spatial models has never been easier or more popular. The book demonstrates how to estimate and interpret spatial models using a variety of methods with the popular, open-source programming language R.
Buy on Amazon
- "Using Bayesian Aldrich-McKelvey Scaling to Study Citizens’ Ideological Preferences and Perceptions"
forthcoming at American Journal of Political Science
(With Christopher Hare, Ryan Bakker, Royce Carroll and Keith Poole)
- "Bootstrap Confidence Regions for Multidimensional Scaling Solutions"
American Journal of Political Science  58(1): 264-278 (with William G. Jacoby)
- "factorplot: Improving Presentation of Simple Contrasts in GLMs"
The R Journal  5(2): 4-15.
Clone from github
- "Stability and Change in the Freedom House Political Rights and Civil Liberties"
Journal of Peace Research  48(5): 653-662.
[Online Appendix] [Replication Materials][BibTeX]
- "Protesting While Black? The Differential Policing of American Activism, 1960 to 1990"
American Sociological Review  76(1): 152-176 (with Christian Davenport and Sarah Soule)
[Replication Materials] [BibTeX]
- "The Coalition-Directed Vote in Contexts with Multi-party Governments"
American Political Science Review  104(4):698-719 (with Raymond Duch and Jeff May)
[Replication Website] [BibTeX]
- "Why Can Voters Anticipate Post-election Coalition Formation Likelihoods"
Electoral Studies  28: 308-315 (with Raymond Duch)
- "Measuring the Democracy-Repression Nexus"
Electoral Studies  28: 403-412
[Download the Data (Stata)] [BibTeX]
- "Democracy and the Violation of Human Rights: A Statistical Analysis from 1976-1996"
American Journal of Political Science  48(3): 538-554 (with Christian Davenport)
[Download the Data (Stata)] [BibTeX]
- "Turnout and the Local Age Distribution: Examining Political Participation Across Space and Time"
Political Geography  23: 71-95 (with Jim Gimpel and Irwin Morris)
Published Works (Not Peer Reviewed):
- "Six Feet Over: Internal War, Battle Deaths and the Influence of the Living on the Dead"
in Dilemmas of Insecurity and Violence: Understanding Security in 21st Century Civil Conflicts
Stephen M. Saideman and Marie-Joelle Zahar, eds. London: Routledge
(with Christian Davenport)
- "Understanding Untouchability: A Comprehensive Study of Practices and Conditions in 1589 Villages"
(with C. Davenport, A.M. Klasing, M. Macwan, M. Pradeep, S. Vania, A. Stam and M.K. Varma)
[Report] [Press Release]
Works Under Review
- "Democratic Institutions, Violent Dissent and Torture"
With Christian Davenport and Will Moore
- "bsmds: An R Package for Bootstrapping Multidimensional Sacling Solutions"
With William G. Jacoby
- "Protest, Policing and Perception: An Experimental Test"
With Christian Davenport and Rose McDermott
Works in Progress:
Statistics and Software
- "Effective Communication of Statistical Results"
With Bob Andersen
Book under contract with Sage Press, expect completed manuscript by 5/2013.
- "A Gentle Introduction to R"
With Alan Acock
Currently developing a book proposal
- "Estimating with Estimates: Advice for Users of Latent Variables with Uncertainty"
With Ray Duch and Ryan Bakker
- "Missing Data and the Gibbs Sampler: A Simple Approach to Estimating Models With Missing Data"
With Ryan Bakker and Johannes Karreth
Democracy and Repression
- "The Unexpected Effect of Elections on Repression"
- "Causal Mechanisms and the Democracy-Repression Nexus"
- "New Models for Manifesto-Based Left-Right Placements"
With Ryan Bakker and Jeremy Albright
Previous version: "Take That you Lousy Dimension" (with Ryan Bakker)